Resolutions – bah humbug – Ok so the media tells us 80 percent of people do not follow through with their resolutions. Well of course we don’t. Creating a resolution is only the beginning and it is a great place to start.
I like to think of resolutions as a starting point to the creation of our dreams, wishes and heartfelt desires. What many of us tend to do though is to not create the specific steps needed to make our dreams come to life. We end up letting our dream be just that -- a dream. If we want to be part of the 20 percent that accomplishes our resolutions we need to be mindful of these five steps:
1) Dream Big – whatever “big” means for you
2) Check your passion/excitement gage – A goal needs to scare you a little and excite you a lot
3) Be specific and write down goals using SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time-bound)--this method is excellent to use
4) Tell people who are going to support you about your goals
5) Celebrate every success along the way!
Now go and start dreaming big…..
Dr. Laura Bokar is the President and CEO of Fox Valley Institute, an author, speaker and entrepreneur. She has been an individual, marital and family therapist for over two decades. She started Fox Valley Institute (FVI) in 2001 with one therapist (Dr. Laura). Since then, FVI has grown to a team of 22